As we showed in yesterday’s Super Bowl recap, these days, social media often drive marketing communications. Now, we review the state of social media in 2020.
Before turning to 2020, look at these social media articles from 2019:
- Social Media Interest by Generation
- Sprout Social 2019 Study on Social Media
- Tools for Social Media Marketing
- Hootsuite 2019 Social Media Trends Toolkit
- Social Media Transforming PR
A Hootsuite Discussion on the State of Social Media in 2020
Recently, Hootsuite produced an excellent report on the current state of social media. Does this chart get a wow!!! from you?
“There are 3.8 billion people using social media today — more people than there were on the entire planet in 1971. In 2020, 3.8 billion is nearly half the world’s population. This figure comes from the Digital 2020 report from Hootsuite and We Are Social, which tracks digital and social media trends across the globe. Here are the top three stats from the report:
- 321 million new people joined social media in 2019. And that brought the total from 3.48 billion to 3.8 billion social media users (an increase of 9%) in 2020.
- 4.5 billion people now use the internet. And that represents an increase of 298 million new users (or 7%) year-on-year.
- There are more than 5.19 billion mobile phone users. Up 2.4% year-on-year (or 124 million new users).”
Now, look at some excellent charts from the report.