Generating Customer Passion

17 Feb

Evans on Marketing:

Companies need to do better in pleasing and exciting their customers. It’s all about the satisfiers, not the dissatisfiers.

Originally posted on Retailing: From A to Z by Joel Evans:

As we know, customer satisfaction alone is often insufficient for generating and sustaining long-term customer loyalty. It is important to exceed customer expectations whenever possible and drive greater customer passion.
Consider these findings from a recent Responsysstudy of U.S. adults, as reported by MarketingTechBlog:
  • 73% of people want a long-term relationship with companies/brands that reward them for being loyal.
  • Just 32% of people say that the companies/brands that they love only send them offers/promotions in which they have an interest.
  • One-third of people say they have “broken up” with a company/brand because because of poor, disruptive, or irrelevant marketing messages they have received.
  • 53% of people who say they have broken up with a company/brand have done so because they regularly receive irrelevant content via multiple channels.
Take a look at the following infographic to see how to gain more customer “love.”

View original

8 Responses to “Generating Customer Passion”

1. Nolan Murphy Whitehead February 17, 2014 at 10:35 pm #

I have yet to meet a company/brand that I liked because of how they treated me or acted towards me. I like them if they have good services (Virgin America, etc.) or very good products (Klean Kanteen, Moji, etc.).

2. Michele Moryc February 18, 2014 at 10:30 am #

I believe that it takes a lot for customers to be extremely satisfied with a company/brand. I receive e-mails and promotions from many companies, but the majority of them are irrevalent to me. I have had both positive and negative experiences with companies. If I am ever dissatisfied with a product, I will e-mail the company. I usually always get a response within a few days, and my problem is solved. However, just last week I e-mailed BareMinerals, and still haven’t received a response. This encourages me to stop purchasing their other products (that I am satisfied with) because of poor customer service.

3. randellvarona February 18, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Within companies I have had experience with both the good and with the bad. Honestly, I always will continue to go to Macy’s because of the fact that they always send me promotions or coupons via email and to my house. They always have a deal going on for me and when I go to the store (in some locations), they will use my coupon or provide one if it is better than the one I have. One thing that sends me away from a company is when they fail to provide feedback to me or ignore my concerns or questions.

4. Wallis Granat February 18, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

Of course it is exciting when you have a favorite restaurant or store where the employees go above and beyond for you; however, that isn’t always the case. Take for instance my favorite clothing store. I have been shopping there for many years now despite the pushiness, high prices, small space, and rudeness of the staff. Why do I continue to shop there? It is local, has what I want and need, and the clothes are good quality. Then there is my favorite bagel place. I enjoy going there because no matter what time of the day they always tell you to have a nice day and smile.

• Evelyn Velasquez February 18, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

There are so many way in which companies can drive greater customer passion and increase customer loyalty. Sending coupons and discounts through e-mail is a great way to do this. However, when these promotions are irrelevant to someone, it may come across as annoying. If there’s a store that I go for the first time and they ask for my email, I will most likely not give it to them automatically. It all depends on whether or not I end up liking their products.

5. Gabby Santoferrara February 18, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

I work at Wegmans. It is a grocery store that prides itself on customer service, and making their store ideals for families. They go above and beyond customer expectations. There is helping hands service which is if people need help loading their car, they can call an employee to help them. Also they have a miniature day care there. While parents are shopping they can drop their kids off and pick them up when they are done. They do not send out deals to the loyal customers they have something called consistant low prices. They keep about 30 prices the same over a year and then pick another 30 the next and so on. They have very loyal customers and are doing very well.

6. Julianne Brackman February 23, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

It’s very hard for people to be completely satisfied with companies today. They want their expectations to be exceeded, every time they deal with companies. It is important for stores and companies to appeal to their customers with their offers and promotions. Gaining loyalty from customers is hard because they have so many options. For example, if Dunkin Donuts isn’t appealing to you anymore, you can just switch over to Starbucks. Because the competition is so high today, it is important for companies to figure out what is most important to customers because they really cant’ afford to lose them over irrelevant offers and promotions.

7. sydneyruggieri February 23, 2014 at 9:59 pm #

The statistic that I found most interesting, and also sad, is that one third of people have been so bothered by a company’s marketing messages that they would actually “break up” with that company. That is not even touching upon customer service or satisfaction. It very clearly depicts the grave importance of marketing and its effect on consumers. It is not possible to intrigue everyone to a company’s product, but it is possible to understand different consumers and know how to differently approach them.