As we know, the leading sports celebrities are quite popular. As a result, they earn a lot from endorsements. In this post, we look at sports stars 2017 Instagram popularity.
Instagram has more than 800 million community members.
Earlier in 2017, we discussed the overall popularity of sports celebrities. Their following can be quite substantial: A number of athletes are celebrities and well-known around the globe. Why does this matter from a marketing perspective? Companies pay huge endorsement fees to have these athletes promote their products — from sports equipment to sports apparel to energy drinks and to a whole lot more. There are many interesting questions in terms of the top celebrity athletes, such as: Which sports do they represent? Which countries are their home bases?
According to the most recent ESPN World Fame 100 rankings:
- Of the top 100 athletes in the world fame ratings, 38 play soccer (known as football outside the U.S.), 13 play basketball, 11 play golf, 10 play tennis, and 8 play American football. Twenty other sports are also represented; but NONE of the top 100 is a baseball player.
- Thirty-five athletes are from the U.S., 9 from Brazil, 7 from Germany, 5 from England, 4 from India, and 4 from Spain. Thirty-six other countries are also represented in the list.
- Among the top 100 athletes, 92 are male and 8 are female.
- The top 5 endorsers each earned at least $36 million in the most recent year studied.
Sports Stars 2017 Instagram Popularity
Since Instagram is a fast-growing social media platform, how are sports stars doing there? What are sports stars 2017 Instagram popularity? Who are the ten most popular athletes on Instagram? What is their sport?
“According to analysis by InfluencerDB, when it comes to sports stars on Instagram, there are two clear winners – Cristiano Ronaldo, and soccer itself. The Real Madrid superstar has the most followers, with over 113 million. In second place is Neymar. Fresh from his ridiculously costly move to PSG in the summer, the Brazilian has 83 million followers. As our infographic shows, only one of the top ten is not connected to soccer. In sixth place is basketball legend LeBron James who has 33.5 million followers.
These are key takeaways from this post on Instagram:
- Sports Stars 2017 Instagram Popularity is high for the biggest stars.
- Soccer stars are really dominant on Instagram.
- Only basketball has one sports star in the top ten on Instagram. No other sport has a star on the top Instagram top 10.
- The retired David Beckham continues with a big Instagram following.
- In 2012, we posted about the most popular sports stars on social media. As of October 2017, four of these stars are among the most popular on Instagram. These are Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Mesi, David Beckham, and LeBron James.