Don’t Let ANYONE Or ANYTHING Discourage You

21 Mar

We can ALL be a success. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Just be persistent and confident in your abilities, work hard, and learn as much as you can about every facet of your life! This is about YOU being the master of your own self brand, and not having others define you  instead.

As the late Jim Valvano said in an inspirational 1993 speech about his battle with cancer, “Never Give Up… Don’t Ever Give Up.” [The V Foundation has raised more than $150 million for cancer research.] Valvano’s speech certainly inspires me. That’s why this blog’s description ends with “Live Life Every Day.”

On a personal note:

When I was 19 and a college sophomore, I went to talk to one of my professors about a midterm exam. I was NOT there to complain about my grade (of C+), only to find out how I could improve my essay answers for the final. My conversation with the professor lasted less than 5 minutes. His only response? “I don’t know why you’re here in my office. You’re from a blue-collar family and a first-generation college student. What makes you think you can do any better?” That was it.

Although this incident was decades ago, I still remember it. The comments by that insulting and condescending professor have served as a major impetus for me to prove him wrong. As the About section of this blog indicates, I have done a lot to prove his assessment of me to be wrong. 🙂

The video below from Motivating Success is encouragement for all of us. It is an “inspiring video on persevering no matter how many times you have failed in life. This video mentions well known people who had failed, but kept pressing on until they became successful.”

Among those featured in the video are Michael Jordan, Albert Einstein, Oprah Winfrey, Walt Disney, Lionel Messi (the soccer superstar), and Steve Jobs. All of them had at least one failure before going on to enormous success.

10 Responses to “Don’t Let ANYONE Or ANYTHING Discourage You”

1. kf March 21, 2016 at 11:20 am #

good post, excellent video

2. Michael Drame March 21, 2016 at 3:42 pm #

It is important to believe in oneself no matter what others think of you. Related to these two videos Frederick Douglas said if “there is no struggle then there is also no progress.” Which means that in order to become successful you have to learn from your failures. So it is important to struggle in order for you to become successful. Others may say something that will discourage you from reaching your goals. Those things are the challenges of life that we all have to go through. But those things should not stop us from accomplishing our goals. In order to have a good grade in an exam the only way a person can take to get a good grade is to study. Studying will be the first step to your success.

3. linda Evans March 22, 2016 at 11:21 am #

amazing and motivational, as well as inspirational and uplifting

4. Kyshaun Gamory March 22, 2016 at 5:26 pm #

Sometimes we may feel like everyone and everything is against us. I think how you react to that feeling is what separates the winners from the losers. Had Micheal Jordan never played basketball again after being cut we would have never had one of the greatest basketball players ever. This video was really motivational and had a great message.

5. Ziwei Huang March 24, 2016 at 7:53 pm #

Failures can either discourage us or encourage us. It is important for us to learn how to view our failures, and how to convert our negative emotion into motive. We should believe that we are the master of ourselves. Although we can’t decide the events happened around us, we can decide the impact of these events on us. Try to accept the failures, and believe each failure can make us stronger than last time.

6. guohong yu March 27, 2016 at 7:55 pm #

That is true. No one can easily make a life, people who want to get a better life must be harder and do more things than others. Genius also spare no effort to keep going, and are confident to face difficulties and awards. No one can see the next chance, but we can always prepare for the next opportunities.

7. Jiahui Suo March 28, 2016 at 6:54 pm #

The external assessment can not always be objective, the most terrible thing is not the deny from the others, it’s the disagreement of ourselves. We have to believe ourselves, encourage ourselves to become stronger, after all, reality tells everything.

8. Alyssa April 2, 2016 at 10:31 pm #

It is easy to be put down when things get rough, but we just have to have faith in ourselves and believe that we can do it. This relates to all things: school or just life in general. Whether it’s relying on others for support or using your failures to push you to success, everyone has their own ways of achieving greatness.

9. Rachel Gross May 13, 2016 at 3:16 pm #

I think what we always have to keep in mind is that life is tough, and not everything is going to go as you planned for, and thats okay. When life knocks you down, get back up and try again. Failures turn into successes. Don’t let anyones harsh words discourage you. You know your full potential.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Don’t Let ANYONE Or ANYTHING Discourage Y... - March 21, 2016

[…] We can ALL be a success. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just be persistent and confident in your abilities, work hard, and learn as much as you can about every facet of your life! This is about YOU being the master of your own self brand, and not having others define you instead. As…  […]