Thinking of switching jobs? Thought about what’s important to you if you switch? For many of us, switching careers involves various pros and cons. In this post, we offer our third discussion of the week related to careers. As we look at considerations before changing careers.
Considerations Before Changing Careers — Do a Self-Analysis
First, remember that the grass is not always greener somewhere else!! Then, carefully and OBJECTIVELY rate the pros and cons of your current job versus a new one. To paraphrase another quote: Be sure to look before you leap. Also, consider whether you are a risk taker. Or someone who is risk averse. 🙂
PayScale suggests ten factors to consider. They follow. To read about them in detail, click the image.
- DO YOU KNOW YOURSELF AS WELL AS YOU COULD?
- DO YOU HAVE THE TIME, ENERGY AND CONFIDENCE TO GET THROUGH THE TRANSITION?
- CONSIDER THE OCCUPATIONAL OUTLOOK
- DO YOU HAVE THE SKILLS?
- HOW MIGHT YOUR NETWORK BE ABLE TO HELP YOU?
- CONSIDER YOUR AGE
- CAN YOU AFFORD IT?
- CONSIDER WORKING WITH A MENTOR OR CAREER COACH
- ARE YOU OPEN TO MOVING?
- WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU DIDN’T MAKE THE CHANGE?